Re: General FOSS discussion, 6/7/2023

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: David Schwartz
Subject: Re: General FOSS discussion, 6/7/2023
FPC is being used by TMS Software in combination with pas2js to power their WEB Core technology (which is NOT FOSS).

WEB Core runs inside of the Delphi IDE (not FOSS), as well as Visual Studio Code (is FOSS), and allows you to write create some pretty stunning web-based applications that run within the web browser as client-side web apps.

They’ve extended both pas2js as well as FPC to support some Object Pascal features that make a huge difference in simplifying writing code for web apps — enhancements that Embarcadero prefers to ignore adding to the Delphi platform.

There are still a few features of Object Pascal that FPC does not support, including declaring var types anywhere, but that’s not much of a show-stopper.

The main things added to FPC to support web apps were the [async] attribute for methods, and the await method; together, they let you wait for an asynch process to complete before continuing with the code execution instead of having to explicitly write a closure or separate call-back method to process the code you want to follow the call.

Embarcadero may have these features in their queue for some unnamed release a few years down the road, but because FPC and pas2js are both FOSS, TMS was able to update the language and set it up to generate js as it’s assembly language output. Then what TMS built on top of this is even more amazing.

-David Schwartz