Re: The end of programming (not the replacement of programme…

+ (text/html)
Author: trent shipley via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: trent shipley
Subject: Re: The end of programming (not the replacement of programmers)
Yeah given where these things are with put-one-word-after-another LLM's and
image generators, I don't see it as being too taxing to make an AI which
could generate passable static web sites for mom n' pop restaurants. Make
it run a 100 examples and the top dozen will rival human work. Playing the
numbers, you could probably get an AI to generate relatively sophisticated
one-page database-backed websites if you were willing to throw away enough
bad starts.

More to the point, programmers can't write code which does what LLMs and
Image Generators do. You need an AI.

The point of a business activity is to make or save money.
To make or save money you need a deliverable, product, or result ...
unfortunately.
As a means of producing results, software is evil.
Programmers are an evil means to evil software which is a means to a
regretable business relevant result.

Software is VERY expensive.
It is bug prone.
It requires expensive, annoying prima donna experts to make it work. They
aren't proper normal folk like mangers, sales people , marketers, HR, or
even accounting and finance. The best thing you can say about them is they
are too proud and stubborn to unionize.

So if you can replace a person witth a robot or software you always do it.

But if you can replace a person or _per se_ software with an AI, you always
do that.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 11:48 AM Andrew McRobb via PLUG-discuss <