Re: The end of programming (not the replacement of programme…

+ (text/html)
Author: James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: James Mcphee
Subject: Re: The end of programming (not the replacement of programmers)
Try copilot and see all the wonderful ways you've never thought of to make
terrible code even if it passes tests. Programming the AI to write ok code
is harder than writing the code right now.

I'm all for the AI stuff. It's great as a convenient method to google,
etc. And codefill is... eh. If you have a reasonable amount of code in
your base already, it can do pretty good at boilerplate. Probably helps
out 1/4 of the time above standard IDE library stuff. (totally scientific
measurement of "eh, this").

Here's the thing. In any system you have a certain amount of complexity
(entropy) that makes your thing different from the other folk. Reducing
boilerplate and the total amount of work to specify the complexity is fair
game, but if you add too much complexity to the language to reduce
complexity of typing it, that's where things lose out. Perhaps AI can help
with this, reduce the load on our poor hooman brains to remember the
various options.

Where it will definitely have an effect is repeated tasks (making another
web frontend router) and information retrieval.

Just my thoughts on it.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 8:07 AM trent shipley via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> We are worried about AI learning to do programming and taking over
> programming jobs.
>
> Modern AI doesn't produce code, it makes writing a lot of code unnecessary.
>
> It may not be that programmers become obsolete but that coding as we know
> it now becomes obsolete.
>
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 3:25 AM Michael via PLUG-discuss <
> > wrote:
>
>> I don't get it...
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 5:03 AM trent shipley via PLUG-discuss <
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> *Pointy haired manager to programmer:* We are thinking of replacing
>>> programming with AI.
>>>
>>> *Programmer:* Don't you mean you plan to replace programmers with AI.
>>>
>>> *PHM:* No, replace programming itself.
>>>
>>> *P:* How? Why?
>>>
>>> *PHM: * Well, the Big, Poorly Understood AI produces really good
>>> results without actually writing code.
>>>
>>> *P:* Go on...
>>>
>>> *PHM:* Plus it's cheap and really, really prolific and efficient.
>>>
>>> *P:* Sure, but its quality is awful!!
>>>
>>> *PHM:* So is the quality of your software, all software, really.
>>>
>>> *P.* Yeah, but the AI's quality is MUCH worse!
>>>
>>> *PHM:* Yes, but the AI is so affordable, efficient, and prolific, that
>>> the wrongful death lawsuits will be just a cost of doing business, and
>>> we'll still come out ahead according to the actuaries.
>>>

>> --

James McPhee