Re: Need Some Help Configuring OpenVPN

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Phillips via PLUG-discuss
To: Michael Butash
CC: Mark Phillips, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Need Some Help Configuring OpenVPN
Michael,

Thanks for all your good advice!

1. It seems that the Orbi VPN works out of the box if I use NetworkManager
(which is the gnome settings panel I mentioned). I just imported the client
file from my router into NetworkManger, and connected to the VPN and my
network. The Orbi client contains several certs in the config file and I
did not need to create my own.

2. ZeroTier is amazing! In 10 minutes I had three computers on my network
connected and could access them from off my network (i.e. my phone as a
hotspot). One question - do you disconnect from ZeroTier each time you quit
(i.e. zerotier-cli leave), or just leave it connected when you shutdown
your computer?

3. The Orbi routers (i.e. Netgear) has a web based interface, and I can
access that interface from anywhere (on or off my network) using a set of
login credentials. VPN and ZeroTier not needed. The Orbi routers and APs
work really well as a mesh network with wired or wifi backhaul.

4. Don't know if you have seen these -
https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Connect-Limited-Edition/dp/B09M31MZK5/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2GZHBQVUMKB1Y&keywords=keep+connect&qid=1684561692&sprefix=keep+connec%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc,
but they work really well to make my network self-healing. Cox goes up and
down in my area a lot, and these devices automatically detect when the
Internet is not working (ping and dns tests), and reboots my router and
access points when needed.

Thanks again!

Mark