suggestions to add REST API to MySQL / MariaDB tables

Author: David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: David Schwartz
Subject: suggestions to add REST API to MySQL / MariaDB tables
I’m building a web app that requires a membership with various levels. There will be a front-end (the web app) and a back-end on a Windows server. I’m thinking about putting the user DB on separate server.

I have this tool that lets me build apps using php and MySQL really easily to handle my basic admin needs (AppGini) and I’m thinking of using that to create the member’s DB and maintain it.

But if it’s on another server, then I’ll need some kind of interface to it so the back-end service can talk to it and do basic user-access things, like login/logout, change their pwd, get their basic account details, maybe deal with payments.

I’ve done a bit of poking around and it seems that in a Linux server with Apache, you need a little “router” that takes the incoming requests and routes them to endpoints by calling some php methods that access the DB. Or maybe it implements them itself.

It looks like there may even be something like that included in MySQL.

I have a shared hosting account that runs cPanel and WHM, so I don’t have access to the shell (well, it’s an option per account in WHM, and I’ve asked, but generally not).

This sort of thing is something I’ve had the dubious luxury of having managed everywhere I’ve worked by an IT Dept, but this is for me and I haven’t done this stuff in a long time. This is mainly for Dev + Test; I’ll set up a dedicated server when I go into production.

So I’m curious what y’all think of this approach.

Some may ask, “Why not some cloud service, like AWS or …?” My only answer is: because this is what I know right now. Convince me otherwise.

I’d actually be open to a 3rd-party service if you know of any that’s free or really cheap for Devs to set up.

-David Schwartz