Re: usb marked as read-only

+ (text/html)
Author: Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Eric Oyen
Subject: Re: usb marked as read-only
There is one thing you can try before absolutely tossing it. Run dd as root with the following code: sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb
And let her run. That should erase everything on that stick, including partition info, boot sector and the like.

If there is a problem, dd will very quickly quit with an error.

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Hardware dispositions Dept.