Re: 4-year Programing and Analytics degree from Mesa CC

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: David Schwartz
Subject: Re: 4-year Programing and Analytics degree from Mesa CC
I’m not trying to turn this into a promotion for Delphi and similar tools. It’s just what I’m most familar with and what I’ve been using for a long time.

Before that it was C++ for 10 years (and I mostly used Borland’s C++ products).

I played with both PowerBuilder and Clarion a bit. PB was full of problems. I worked at a place that used both PB and Delphi, and I think every marketing demo I saw them do with PB blew up at least once. Big corporations seemed to prefer it over Delphi for whatever reason.

Clarion looked like a really promising tool, but it just seemed to fade away. I really don’t know what happened to it.

Borland was founded on Turbo Pascal, which originally sold for $50. They didn’t offer any discount to resellers, who just bought it for $50 each and resold it at the same price, hoping customers would buy something else while they were there.

When Borland chucked all of their language tools into CodeGear years later and said, “We’re selling off our crown jewels so we can focus on a bunch of boat anchors!” a lot of us were totally mystified. Delphi was their cash-cow for so many years, and those funds were used to finance a bunch of nonsense that went nowhere, rather than enhancing Delphi itself.

Embarcadero eventually bought CodeGear and it looked like things would get better. But then they were bought by a private equity firm that was trying to create another Computer Associates type of mega-software corp. They laid off most of the core developers and built an outsourcing team to maintain the core stuff. Very little has been added to the core language since then, although the IDE has evolved. They seem to be buying up companies and adding their tech to the Delphi Enterprise Edition to justify raising its price.

But what they’ve been doing is adding all kinds of new crap at the edges while ignoring the “inner city”, which has sort of gone to crap. I mean, it’s still there, but it has hardly changed in 10 years. Meanwhile they keep raising their prices — 6% per year for people on maintenance plans, beyond the retail price of the products. And if you’re not on a maintenance plan, then upgrades are going to cost you an arm and a leg.

They have a TON of corporations using apps originally written in D4-D7 that are still in operation. Those companies keep their maintenance plans active “just in case”, but many of them do not even move their code to the latest verions if there’s no particular benefit that outweighs the risks — and it's becoming harder and harder to justify the upgrades.

More importantly, to your point, they COULD be using Delphi for NEW projects, but they choose not to. Mostly, they use Microsoft products. Or Linux-based stuff leveraging open-source tools — which tends to be for building web-based products.

They’ve got multiple Delphi licenses already, so I don’t understand why they refuse to use it.

I dropped my Delphi maintenance plan last year because I don’t seen much value in it. I’m not worried about losing anything because of that 100% backward compatibility thing they have always embraced. And besides, they haven’t added anything new to the core language in years; nobody thinks they will for quite a while, if ever.

Actually, I’m more worried about MacOS — there are apps I cannnot upgrade without upgrading my OS b/c of features added to support the M1/M2 chips that need some kind of core OS support that’s only in newer versions of the OS. I don’t want to upgrade my OS b/c I’ll lose access to apps that I use periodically that will cost me quite a bit to upgrade themselves.

I’m far more interested in what TMS is up to that leverages core Delphi technology than what is happening with Delphi. In fact, TMS competes with some of the extensions Embt is adding on to the Enterprise versions of Delphi, but they’re working on a “long plan” while Embt doesn’t even want to discuss theirs any more.

Renewals for the TMS ALL-ACCESS pass are a little cheaper than my Delphi maintenance plan renewal, but I get WAY MORE VALUE from TMS than I get with my Delphi renewal. Delphi will keep running, and I know TMS will continue supporting my version, so I’m not worried.

Most TMS stuff supports Lazarus; I think some supports FreePascal as well. I don’t really pay that much attention to either one. I’ve been working with Delphi for so long, I’m just really comfortable with my famiarity with it.

If you’re curious about what TMS offers, go to their website … they’ve got a TON of stuff. Most of it lets you download trial versions that will run within the IDE (probably why they support Delphi and Lazarus, but not FP).

-David Schwartz