Re: What is a full-stack PHP developer

+ (text/html)
Author: Nathan O'Brennan via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Nathan O'Brennan
Subject: Re: What is a full-stack PHP developer
As a full-stack developer, I can answer this. But sadly, it's just going to turn into a rant for
me.

You just about perfectly described a LAMP Administrator.
Sadly, I have found the definition of a full-stack developer differs depending on where you
look.

To some it means the developer is capable of building, or guiding a team to, a project from
beginning to end, both front-end and back-end techs. Which means server-side javascript
as well as in browser javascript. Full html/css/ and even sass understanding, along with
the ability to take a photoshop image and turn it into a website, while having expert
knowledge of PHP/Python.

Some websites, notably LinkedIn, think a full-stack developer is anyone who writes web
code using the entirety of the .NET stack. I absolutely hate LinkedIn.

In recent years, and I just went through this trying to find a full-stack developer, while
working with our talent acq. group, and others, that a full-stack is basically a web rocket
scientist. You have to know a little of everything, have had your hands in everything, and
be a rockstar with everything you touch.

I try to market myself as a full-stack lamp developer. I keep all my years of .NET off my
resume because I don't wan't to use it.

A full-stack is expected to understand how to communicate with other techs as well, such
as api communication via xml/soap/json and others.