Special-Use Domain 'home.arpa.'

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Special-Use Domain 'home.arpa.'

Hi,

As you know I am building a "home office" lab for PHP development and
testing. I was not satisfied with the research I completed on
"non-routeable" domains for a private network made up of "non-routeable"
domains.

In the distant past I used to use .dev for the TLD. From what I am
reading this is not a good idea.

According to https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8375.html one should use
"home.arpa.". They add a period to the end which I assume is the DNS
domain name stop character when used in zone files. Any thoughts?

I will not be using DNS. My needs are so simple I will be adding the IP
and domain name in my host file, at least for now.

I've read a lot about this subject. Some say to use a registered domain
with a subdomain that is on a private IP. I really do not want to
commingle public and private assets on the same domain.

Any feedback is much appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Keith