Re: T-Mobile Home Internet followup

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: T-Mobile Home Internet followup
Thanks for the feedback, though that really bites. Reminds me of Sprint
wireless broadband circa 2001 using fixed antennas, it was great at first,
but then only in the middle of the night, as it sucked entirely during the
day as it couldn't deal with the capacity either.

I'm not surprised, real 5g using mmwave technology is really only decent to
around 700ft or so, as I've used a few products for fixed wireless point to
point or multipoint as well. It's also what drives ultrawideband
technology used by apple now pervasively, marketed as a "personal area
network" for short range optimized use. It's simply not *good* as a wan
technology.

That said, carriers use 5G generically whether they're talking real mmwave
5G or just some enhanced version of 4G they can't market anymore unless
they call it 5G too, so who knows what you're really using.

My customer is starting to use 5g in a large local 1100-some store retail
chain to get off the last remnants of the last of old T1's and other crap
rural broadband providers as the only choice until now, it'll be
interesting to see how they fare here and other region markets in the long
run.

-mb

On Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 3:44 PM Daniel Stasinski via PLUG-discuss <