Boot Problems (bios?)

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Boot Problems (bios?)

Hi,

I changed out a 240G SSD with a 500Gb SSD on a computer that had been
running Linux years ago. It is a Dell i-5 w/16Gb of RAM.

It was my daily driver until I had to move to Windows for business
reasons. The computer is 9 years old and hardly used.

I installed Kubuntu 22.04 on it. So far so good.

After the install it would not boot. If I hit the F12 key repeatedly,
while booting, I get a boot prompt that shows both my SSD and my hard
drive which is the original spinner. If I select the SSD drive it boots
right up.

When I go into the bios it only shows the hard drive and an option for
booting. The SSD is not in the list of options.

I changed the connects to the motherboard, switching the SSD to 1 and
the spinner to 2. There is no 0. This did not change things.

Any thoughts on how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Keith