Re: https://www.crucial.com/ssd/x8/ct1000x8ssd9

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: https://www.crucial.com/ssd/x8/ct1000x8ssd9
On Thu, 2022-08-04 at 17:33 -0400, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-08-04 at 05:43 -0700, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> >

> > I'm thinking the bottleneck might be the USB.  Any thoughts PLUG?
>
> I'm almost positive that a USB2 interface will badly bottleneck an SSD. Might as
> well get a 5400rpm spinning rust.

When we get into discussions about bottlenecking, I recommend every English speaker
in the world read the book "The Goal" by Goldratt and Cox.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/goal-eliyahu-m-goldratt/1103443759

I recommend reading it, then reading it again 6 months later, then after that
reading it every two years. Yes, it's that good and that important. I suggest the
print edition: The electronic edition I bought a couple years ago is very
misformatted.

I wrote a little bit about bottleneck analysis 24 years ago, here:

http://troubleshooters.com/tpromag/9803.htm

SteveT