Re: Domain Registering and Hosting/Website Funny Business

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Steve Litt
CC: techlists, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Domain Registering and Hosting/Website Funny Business

Thanks for your feedback!!
<scroll>

On 2022-07-26 14:48, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 2022-07-26 at 07:06 -0700, wrote:
>>
>> What is a registered copyright.  He has a copyright statement on the
>> site.
>

> I'm not a lawyer, just a guy with about 9 registered copyrights and
> hundreds of web
> pages, so what I give you is just opinion. A little web research will
> give you your
> own opinion.
>
> A copyright statement is not registration.
>
> To register his copyright, he would have had to one way or another put
> the entirety
> of his website on an optical drive or a thumb drive, fill out a
> registration form,
> pay about $63.00, and send it to the Library of Congress.

He did not do so.

> One of the benefits of registering your copyright, if I remember
> correctly, is that
> when some fool copies your stuff you can get an immediate monetary
> judgement from
> them.
>
> Don't get me wrong: The fact that your friend wrote this stuff means
> he's the
> copyright owner. It's legally his. Without your friend's express
> written permission,
> the copycat has no legal standing to copy your friend's work. It's
> just that without
> a registration, you have to spend a lot of money in court.
>
> What were the damages to your friend for the copy? I don't mean the
> damages for the
> loss of his website, I mean the damages for the copying alone. How
> could such
> damages be proven? Has the copier used your friend's work to make a
> lot of money?

Interestingly the other person has done nothing with the website.

> If
> not, and if it isn't registered, I'd advise your friend to screen
> scrape every page
> of the copy so your friend himself can rebuild his site. Perhaps the
> copier really
> did your friend a service by copying.

I wonder about the duplicate content issue.

> One other thing: There's a reason Troubleshooters.Com isn't a Drupal
> site or a
> Wordpress site or a Rails site or a Zope site. The minute a database
> becomes
> involved, both deployment and backup become much, much more difficult.

How do you create content and how do you maintain it ie, modify your
content?

I think every website I've created has been data driven even my first
from 2000.

I use WordPress exclusively now. Much easy than the alternative.

A long while ago I wrote a script to backup to Amazon S3. I added it to
a Cron and it does a backup everyday and saves these backups for 6
months. It is a two step process 1) tar and compress all the web
content to include WordPress, and 2) tar and compress the data dump.
Creates 2 files and it is hands free.

I recently pulled down a backup and setup a server to test it and it
worked.

These S3 backups have saved my bacon a few times. On a site I maintained
a fellow consultant did something that deleted the entire website. So I
downloaded the S3 backups did a reinstall and we were back on line.

I backup 3 or 4 websites daily and keep their backups for 6 months and
it only cost me about $1.05 a month. If I clean it up a bit it will go
below a dollar a month.