Evolution

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Evolution
Hi all,

As you know, I'm trying very hard to escape from Claws-Mail, which
isn't a simple task given that I have about 200 folders probably
holding close to a million messages. Luckily, these folders and
messages are kept in the Maildir for my Dovecot IMAP server on my Daily
Driver Desktop (DDD).

Thunderbird and Balsa aren't performant enough to handle this load.
Alpine croaks. Eudora, ummm, nope. That left Mutt, and Mutt is still my
ultimate destination. But now I have a little more time.

In researching a barely-readable foreground/background combination that
the Claws people blamed on my GTk theme, I found a Wikipedia page with
a list of GTk applications, so I tried each to see if they had the same
problem. One of those GTk applications was the Evolution email client,
which didn't have the problem.

But more to the point, Evolution immediately saw all my Dovecot IMAP
folders and very quickly loaded my messages for those folders. An
hour's looking around told me this might be a descent Claws
replacement. More experimentation, web research, and asking for help on
the Evolution mailing list revealed Evolution to be very useable for my
work flow. By 5am I was using Evolution exclusively.

I'd never considered Evolution because in the 00's it was a bloated,
slow, glitchy pig. Not any more. Now it handles email like a champ.

I'm at the stage where I'm still encountering hassles I need to work
around, but this is true of any new-to-you software you don't write
yourself.

I still need to learn Mutt because Evolution could go bad, like Kmail
and Claws-Mail before it. But Evolution has given me a reprieve, so
getting Mutt working doesn't consume my whole day.

All email clients suck. We all know that. If you're looking for an
email client that sucks less than the others, take a look at Evolution.

SteveT