Re: copyright and other special symbols

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: copyright and other special symbols
On 2022-07-11 13:09, Michael via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> How does one invoke the copyright symbol and all the other special
> symbols that aren't on the US keyboard?

First, one[0] assigns a Multi_key if there is not one present. I
usually use the right-Ctrl for this purpose. By running xev in a
terminal and pushing that key, I see that that is keycode 105 on my
keyboard. Your keyboard may be different, check. Armed with this
information, one does "xmodmap -e 'keycode 105 = Multi_key' ". Then one
looks in /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose to see all the things
one can do. One can, for instance, do Multi_key, = , then C, and get a
Euro sign. Or one can do Multi_key, ' , then a vowel, and get that
vowel with an acute accent.

[0] One believes using "one" like this has jumped the 19th-century
English teacher shark.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity