Re: how to get filezilla or best option ...

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: how to get filezilla or best option ...
On 2022-05-06 16:59, Herminio Hernandez, Jr. via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> I can ssh from one of my linux laptops into another
>> one on my home network, but I don't know the syntax
>> to ftp from one to the other. And I don't know any
>> other way to send to or retrieve from one to the other.

ftp requires installing an FTP server, which is a PITA to get right.

>> I tried 'scp' but don't know the correct syntax.
> send
> scp file user@server:~/directory
> rec
> scp ser@server:~/directory file

If you have your ssh keys set up properly, it's kind of like so:

(to copy file1 on host1 to host2 directory /home/me/)
host1:~: scp file1 user@host2:/home/me/
(to recursively copy all of dir1 to host2 /home/me/)
host1:~: scp -r dir1 user@host2:/home/me/

If your ~/.ssh/config is set up properly, you can omit the user@ part
and probably not have to put in a password. Also, KDE's dolphin has the
fish://user@host/ KIOslave, which is _very useful_ if you like GUI file
managers.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress