Re: NICs on a virtualization box

+ (text/html)
Author: greg zegan via PLUG-discuss
To: Bob Elzer via PLUG-discuss
CC: greg zegan
Subject: Re: NICs on a virtualization box
yesNIC teaming?
    On Wednesday, April 20, 2022, 08:58:00 AM MST, Bob Elzer via PLUG-discuss <> wrote:

I know you can assign multiple IP's to one Nic, but I don't know how each VPS can run a service on the same ports.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 8:51 AM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <> wrote:

Hi,
I'm wondering how VPS servers are configured.  I have a VPS with a
dedicated IP.  I assume I share a box that has a number of virtual
machines and I assume each VPS has a dedicated IP.

This is a hardware question.  I assume the box has at least 2 network
cards.  So lets say the server has 20 VPS on it and each has a dedicated
IP. Does the box need a NIC for each IP or does the box have NIC cards
that can service/route multiple IPs?

I have a Dell consumer grade mini tower computer with a single NIC which
is built into the motherboard.  I assume that NIC can only service one
IP address, is that correct or can I install virtualization software on
this computer and use the NIC for multiple IP's?

Did I just open a can of worms?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.