Re: flv to ogg

+ (text/html)
Author: Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss
To: Michael via PLUG-discuss
CC: Brian Cluff
Subject: Re: flv to ogg
MP4, AVI, MOV, FLV...etc...etc are container formats.  Think of them as
specialty file systems that hold the various "files" that make up of the
video.  Those parts can include the video, the audio, subtitles,
thumbnail images, meta data... etc...etc.. and often time multiple
versions of any combination of those.

The various containers can usually hold a number of different types of
video formats inside them such as h.264, h.264/HEVC, MPEG4, Theora, VP8,
VP9, AV1.  Then there are different audio formats and they can usually
use just about anything you can think of as an audio codec, such as MP2,
WAV but often times they use formats that you don't usually see outside
of a video pairing like AC3, AAC, but there's no reason you couldn't
just have an stand alone audio file in any format that can be encoded
into a video.

So just looking at the suffix of the video file won't tell you anything
about if your computer can play it back or not.  What you really need to
know is the CODECS that make up various parts of the video are and the
resolution that the video is stored at.   Your computer will have an
easier time of with some video formats than others.  You'll find that
your computer will usually have an easier time with older video formats
that are much larger because the hardware decompressing support for that
format is baked into the GPU or the CPU, so you'll find that putting a
newer generation video card into even an old computer can make it
instantly be able to play back the most modern 4K video simply because
all the decompressing is happening on the GPU and the CPU has little to
do with it.

If you have VLC, you can go to "Tools -> Codec Information" and "Tools
-> Media Information" and it will give you a rough breakdown of what
makes up your particular video.
Another really nice tool is mediainfo ( apt install mediainfo ). Just
run that with your video file name as the argument and it will spit out
info about all the various parts that make up your video (or audio) file.

Brian Cluff
PS
My personal favorite container format is MKV since it seems to be able
to hold just about anything you throw at it without limitation.