Re: m.2 2280

Author: der.hans via PLUG-discuss
To: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
CC: der.hans
Subject: Re: m.2 2280
Am 15. Jan, 2022 schwätzte Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss so:

moin moin,

> I'm not so much a fan of crucial anymore, I lost a few of their earlier
> SSD's and mostly wrote them off as incompetent.

I've had rock solid experience with their memory over the years, unlike
several other manufacturers. This is my first drive from them, I hope it
will also be reliable for me.

> Really the trick is just match up the pcie bus, so if a 3.0 bus, get a 3.0
> m.2, or if a 4.0, get a 4.0 m.2. That and make sure the slot supports up

Replacing 4.0 8820 with 4.0 8820, so should be good.

> to a 2280, but most disks use these. Get some heatsinks too for it if
> yours doesn't have them, most just thermal stick tape on.

BestBuy had the drive, but no heatsyncs. Luckily the mobo came with a
heatsync, so I had a spare.

> I'd recommend Samsung normally, but heard the new 980's had some issues

Samsung is my other default.

> with linux that degrades performance from Phoronix a few months back. I've
> used the 960 and 970's though, and first ssd's I've gotten to last more
> than 6 months using mdraid, luks, and lvm atop. My laptop has a toshiba

I'm running with luks and lvm, am considering adding a second drive to get
raid.

> m.2 I've used around 4 years now and not died as well, a bit surprising,
> but no raid on it, just luks and lvm on single disk.
>
> HTH!

Most definitely. Thanks!

ciao,

der.hans

> -mb
>

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 5:34 PM der.hans via PLUG-discuss <
> > wrote:
>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> I'm looking to upgrade my NVMe drive and get two in order to mirror.
>>
>> I see crucial has several differently priced options. They're all
>> m.2 2280, so they should all work, right?
>>
>> Here's what I have now:
>>

>> https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-1tb/p/N82E16820009012?Item=N82E16820009012
>>

>> https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite/p/N82E16813145160?Item=N82E16813145160

>> https://www.newegg.com/crucial-2tb-p2/p/N82E16820156274?Description=m2&cm_re=m2-_-20-156-274-_-Product
>>

>> https://www.newegg.com/crucial-2tb-p5/p/N82E16820156250?Description=m2&cm_re=m2-_-20-156-250-_-Product
>>

>> https://www.newegg.com/crucial-2tb-p5-plus/p/N82E16820156281?Description=m2&cm_re=m2-_-20-156-281-_-Product
>>
>> Also, since these are hard drives, I could get any two similarly speeded
>> 2TB drives for mirroring on that mother board?
>>
>> Don't have to worry about batch matching or anything like RAM sometimes
>> needs?
>>
>> Need to make sure to get heat syncs with these puppies.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> # https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
>> # "You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the
>> # world! This room's the greatest arsenal we could have - arm yourselves!"
>> # -- the Doctor: Doctor Who, Tooth and Claw, 2006

#  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  "If class warfare is being waged in America, my class is clearly winning."
#    -- Warren Buffett