Re: boy am I glad I have a basic understanding of linux than…

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: boy am I glad I have a basic understanding of linux thanks to you guys.
I like the plug group, why try to chime in when I can. Some environments
are almost toxic trying to ask question or get support (ahem, arch linux
chats), but try to not be those folks.

My first exposure to unix was in 99, my first tech job, we had a solaris
shell account on our network management server to hit everything we wanted
in an isp network. In 2000 at a new job, I learned what linux was with
some coworkers teaching me linux and solaris simultaneously, and installed
slackware on my server for years. It served me well for years, breaking,
rebuilding, learning, and other things that acquainted me to the
experience. Learning linux prepared me for the future, learning other
distros and cross-linux disciplines to be somewhat productive in an
industry even if not a system administrator or anything in particular. I
do mostly network and security, and linux rules these, even if vendors name
themselves as something else, they all end of day run linux, which at least
lets you know where they and you subsequently live.

Learning never goes out of vogue, keep doing it. Even windoze. I'd
suggest even if pirating (or pay cheaply
<https://www.gkeys24.com/microsoft-windows-server-2019-standard.html?gk=edm0702>)
a copy of windoze server learning Active Directory and other windoze things
to boot. At this point, you'll never escape windoze. Funny now that
microsoft's best selling platform *is* linux now, but still good to know
both worlds as they become inseparable.

-mb

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 11:17 AM Michael via PLUG-discuss <