100 foot view of mail

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: 100 foot view of mail
Main PLUG discussion list <>

Hi,

As you may know I am working on a home PHP webserver.

I have the LAMP stack operational along with BIND and Let's Encrypt. I
need to understand and get Postfix and Dovecot functioning.

Here is what I have pulled together. Please le me know if this is
accurate, if I let anything out, or any other information I need to
know. Thanks!!

MUA : Mail User Agent – Your email client. (port 587)

MTA : Mail Transfer Agent (port 25) (port 587 or 465 ?)

MDA : Message Delivery Agent

MSA : Mail Submission Agent

SMTP : Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

POP3 : Post Office Protocol

IMAP : Internet Message Access Protocol

SSL : Secure Socket Layer

TLS : Transport Layer Security

• User client (Mail User Agent) sends an email to the Mail Transfer
Agent via port 25, 587, 465, or 2525.  I’ve read that port 465 should no
longer be used.
• I read port 587 should only be used for submissions (i.e., mail client
to mail server), port 25 should only be used for relaying (i.e., mail
server to mail server communications).
• Mail Transfer Agents transfer email to other Mail Transfer Agents via
port 25 exclusively.
• Mail Transfer Agent stores the email on the server.
• The user client (Mail User Agent) interacts with the mail server via
the Message Delivery Agent using POP3 or IMAP.  This transaction can be
secured by a Secured Socket Layer certificate referred to as TLS
(Transport Layer Security), POP3S or IMAPS, or not secured POP3 or IMAP.
• The POP3 and IMAP and ports:
         ◦ IMAP - 143
         ◦ IMAPS - 993
         ◦ POP3 - 110