Re: Squid Proxy question

+ (text/html)
Author: James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss
To: Seabass, Main PLUG discussion list
CC: James Mcphee
Subject: Re: Squid Proxy question
To avoid this confusion about squid, we call squid (in standard
configuration) a forward proxy, and haproxy (or nginx, or apache w/
mod_proxy module) a reverse proxy. Based on what you described, you're
probably looking for a reverse proxy with SNI awareness. SNI allows the
reverse proxy to run different rules based on Host: header in the request.
Apache calls this named-based virtual hosts.

Based on the initial description you want multiple domains routed through 1
external IP and probably the standard port 443. Normally what I'd do here
is SSL offload at a reverse proxy with a cert with all the domains as SANs
that has the IP (or NAT) and route to my backend services using named-based
virtual hosts.

There are other options. If you could break down exactly how you want the
traffic to arrive and where you want the rules, the list of technologies
will narrow itself down.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 5:58 PM Seabass via PLUG-discuss <

James McPhee