NFS/SMB and ransomware

+ (text/html)
Author: Steve B via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve B
Subject: NFS/SMB and ransomware
Looking for some information regarding networked file systems and
ransomware. If my understanding is correct, should a PC get infected with
ransomware it can search out and encrypt NFS and SMB shares.

Would it be correct to assume that in order to encrypt an NFS or SMB share
they would have to be online? If the device on which the network file
system was located were powered off, could it be woken via a WOL command
and then encrypted?

I currently have a TrueNAS machine that houses all my media and is also my
Plex server. It also has an NFS share to which I backup as needed. In
addition I have a Synology NAS to which I have a backup copy of the TrueNAS
server.