Re: Home Office PHP Web Server : HD Configuration

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: Home Office PHP Web Server : HD Configuration
I would disagree there is little benefit to using lvm with a single disk,
unless you only use it as a raid mechanism, which I don't. Otherwise, I
tend to compartmentalize my os for root, var, var/log, home, usr, and
others, but occasionally I need to grow them over time, even adding another
disparate disk to the system. LVM lets me do this where I cannot with a
base ext partition. Also filling a bare root ext partition tends to fsck
up the os royally, sometimes fsck is help in recovering, or not. Never had
this again switching to using lvm for everything.

Last time I built my laptop with arch, I was bent on using ZFS, but arch
and maybe linux in general couldn't boot off an encrypted volume still.
BTRFS not sure currently, but it always seems a bit sketchy anyways. Years
later, I'd love to know if this works yet.

End of the day, I need 1) raid, 2) encryption, 3) volume
management/scaling, and 4) ssd features to keep them alive. I use only
samsung disks that tend to do their own auto-leveling as I have found other
SSD's entirely unreliable when layering said requirements currently with
mdraid/luks/lvm/ext. Samsung seems to nail it for longevity, though my
laptop currently uses only a single toshiba m2 ssd and has been working
fine for almost 5 years. Maybe *other* vendors have finally copied them,
but I simply don't even consider non-samsung drives these days.

ZFS seems the long-term ideal to replace mdraid/luks/lvm/ext all in one,
maybe BTRFS, but curious if anyone's figured it out yet. Probably wait for
a new desktop/laptop to try this.

-mb

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 8:27 AM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <