My migration notes to Libera.chat

+ (text/html)
Author: Todd Cole via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Todd Cole
Subject: My migration notes to Libera.chat
For those that looking for info to join IRC Libera.chat I not a expert but
many hours of testing.

And I did push this out in a hurry so feel free to edit and improve.

Simple web page no install

https://web.libera.chat/

pick and nickname. If that one is used it fill in a generic unused one or
you may try another one

keep the channel as #libera press enter and you will be in the channel. At
this point you will not be able to chat until you register your nickname so
in the bottom line enter

/msg NickServ REGISTER (your password) (your email address)

no parentheses but a space between items

you will get a email with a code to enter

/msg NickServ IDENTIFY (your password)

no parentheses but a space between items

it should ask for your emailed code enter that code and you are now
registered

enter

/join #plugaz

enter and you are now able to chat

these commands should work with most any IRC client

For weechat on a Debian system in a terminal

sudo apt-get install weechat then enter computer password

then enter weechat wait till weechat is fully open then on the bottom line
enter

/server add libera irc.libera.chat:6697 -ssl -autoconnect   then
enter/connect libera      then enter

/msg NickServ REGISTER (your password) (your email address)

no parentheses but a space between items

you will get a email with a code to enter

/msg NickServ IDENTIFY (your password)

no parentheses but a space between items

it should ask for your emailed code enter that code and you are now
registered

enter

/join #plugaz

enter and you are now able to chat

I used this guide. I also used screen weechat-curses so I could move from
one computer to another

with ssh to the host then screen-dr and now I never miss a comment.

https://www.linode.com/docs/guides/using-weechat-for-irc/

a good cheat sheet is this

https://opensource.com/sites/default/files/opensourcedotcom-irc-cheatsheet.pdf

Libera.chat

https://libera.chat/

I also changed to SASL enter

/set irc.server.liberachat.sasl_mechanism PLAIN/set
irc.server.liberachat.sasl_username <nickname>/set
irc.server.liberachat.sasl_password <password>/save

https://libera.chat/guides/weechat

--
Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team