Re: Home Office PHP Web Server : HD Configuration

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: Home Office PHP Web Server : HD Configuration
I run everything through LVM after about the second time I crashed my root
partition on plain ext2 by filling it entirely, at least probably 10-12
years now. LVM2 doesn't crash it like that even if filled, or cause a full
fsck of fscking time and other weird catastrophic restoration of services.

If no encryption, you can set lvm2 to pass through ssd trim, or setup your
own periodic trim jobs. I'd love to hear reasons not to use lvm, as it's
dated, and looked at things like zfs and btrfs to replace 1) raid, 2)
encryption. and 3) logical volumes, but without these all wasn't really an
option. Curious if anyone's using any one native solution for all three
yet. Using mdraid+luks+lvm+ext4 is still my general go-to.

-mb

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 2:24 PM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <