Re: Home Office PHP Web Server : Reverse Lookup

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Re: Home Office PHP Web Server : Reverse Lookup
Hi Amit,

Thank you for your feedback. Cox is telling me I can do a reverse
lookup myself. The reverse lookup I am finding shows a subdomain I
chose some time ago on a domain I own.

I was told Cox is getting out of hosting and DNS.

Is there anyway to determine where the DNS is coming from?

Thank you for all your help!!

Keith

On 2021-05-26 07:32, Amit Nepal via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Reverse lookup is always configured on the ISP or whoever owns the IP
> end.  You can register your forward DNS information with any
> registrar, but reverse lookup has to be handled by the network
> provider. Cox probably has a default reverse lookup on each of their
> IP which is why there may not be a custom one tied to your IP but
> still provides a reverse name.
>

> On 5/26/2021 7:22 AM, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> Thank you for your reply Stephen!!
>>
>> Is there any way to determine where this record is served from?
>>
>> - - -
>>
>> On 2021-05-26 07:11, Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>>> So, part of this will be because you are connected by cox.  its not
>>> that you have a specific server but that you are using their DNS for
>>> now. as you register your DNS info you have an identity on cox's
>>> network. I think this will change once you have a proper DNS