Re: Home Office PHP Web Server : Reverse Lookup

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Stephen Partington
Subject: Re: Home Office PHP Web Server : Reverse Lookup
So, part of this will be because you are connected by cox. its not that
you have a specific server but that you are using their DNS for now. as you
register your DNS info you have an identity on cox's network. I think this
will change once you have a proper DNS responding. I may be wrong on this.

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 6:22 AM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Cox business. They allow me to run servers and do not block
> ports. They configured a reverse lookup years ago. Since I will be
> running my own DNS, I asked them to remove the reverse lookup. Cox says
> they do not have a reverse look up on my account.
>
> I then ran dig -x {my-Cox-IP}
>
> and it returned that there was a reverse look up on port 53, which I
> have closed on my router and gives a private/non-routable IP of
> 192.168.1.1. My understanding is that is the gateway address.
>
> Any thoughts on how to resolve this is much appreciated.
>
> Keith

Stephen