Re: IRC network takeover

Author: der.hans via PLUG-discuss
To: Aaron Jones via PLUG-discuss
CC: der.hans
Subject: Re: IRC network takeover
Am 19. May, 2021 schwätzte Aaron Jones via PLUG-discuss so:

moin moin Aaron,

> I’ll swing by. I like IRC. I hope we stay with IRC.

Well, I guess you do like IRC. I didn't know you'd been moonlighting as a
Freenode staffer :).

aaronmdjones/freenode-resign-letter.txt

https://gist.github.com/aaronmdjones/1a9a93ded5b7d162c3f58bdd66b8f491

This imposter Aaron Jones might have attended some of your presentations.

----
     C) "Rather than allow for a usual grace period after resignation [...]
          Tomaw's crew abruptly cuts christel's access"

         There is no usual grace period. When a staff member resigns, their
         credentials and privileges are revoked. This is just good infosec
         hygiene, and is yet again something that an information technology
         company founder should be capable of grasping.
----

ciao,

der.hans

>> On May 19, 2021, at 12:57 PM, der.hans via PLUG-discuss <> wrote:
>>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> it seems there's been a takeover of the IRC network we've been using for
>> years.
>>
>> https://lwn.net/Articles/856543/
>>
>> Several of the volunteer staff I know of have resigned. I do not know
>> them, just know of them. Others that I do know have been actively helping
>> people move.
>>
>> Here's a statement from the corporate person:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/realrasengan/88549ec34ee32d01629354e4075d2d48
>>
>> Lots of other FLOSS project are moving to the new Libera.chat network.
>>
>> I have setup #PLUGaz on there to make sure we don't get squatted off our
>> normal channel name.
>>
>> Do we want to move? Do we want to consider other IRC networks?
>>
>> Do we want to move to Matrix or other FLOSS chat?
>>
>> In any case, swing by one and/or the other and say hi.
>>
>> We are requiring nick registration to join the new channel at this time
>> and Libera.chat does require an email address to register a nick. It
>> allows sub-addressing, so you can use a unique email address.
>>
>> SSL connections: irc.Libera.chat/6697
>> clear text connections: irc.Libera.chat/6667
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> # https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
>> # "MacGyver himself off Mars." -- pretty well every geek who
>> # has read "The Martian"

# https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
# "I have no special talents, I am only passionately
# curious." -- Albert Einstein