Re: FLOSS thermostats?

Author: der.hans via PLUG-discuss
To: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
CC: der.hans
Subject: Re: FLOSS thermostats?
Am 04. Mar, 2021 schwätzte Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss so:

moin moin,

offlist I got a suggestion for Radio Thermostat CT50e

"Includes Wi-Fi unsnap module – allows connection to Wife and/or our cloud
services. Open API available to allow you to create your own interface. C
wire required for Wi-Fi operation additional minimal annual fee required."

https://vipoutlet.com/product/radio-thermostat-ct50e-wifi-7-day-wi-fi-module-programmable-thermostat-2/

Not certain what a C wire is or why I need to pay an annual fee to use it.

The website for Radio Thermostat is wix and requires a bunch of third
party javascript, so I recommend avoiding it.

On the Fediverse someone recommended tasmota firmware and Sonoff hardware.

There are a bunch of posts about that combo. Sonoff looks interesting.

https://sonoff.tech/

Apparently the tasmota firmware generally works with Sonoff products.

I think I'm definitely gonna get a couple Sonoff products to play with.

ciao,

der.hans

> I've not seen one, and been looking a good while actually. I use a pair of
> Ecobees, I like them, and they provide a decent external API to other
> ecosystems that is well supported. They're probably yet another crapgadget
> iot things infected with junk corporate or chinese code, who knows where
> they stop or begin. They use some remote external wireless sensors that
> are cool for various rooms that really I don't see ever happening, so while
> not ideal, ideal doesn't exist today.
>
> Sadly I think just no one has gotten around to this, or scared to take
> responsibility to do so. I use OpenSprinkler boards for, well sprinklers,
> and works well enough as an attachment to a RPi - been waiting for like for
> thermostat control, but nada. I'd imagine you need some 24vdc conversion
> and relays to handle your hvac, rest is all logic to not blow up a house
> accidentally, freeze, or bake to death in extreme climates. Who's open!
>
> Otherwise, just buy an Ecobee or Nest, talk to an API, and hope they aren't
> selling you out to anyone by design or ignorance with shoddy dev's.
>
> -mb
>

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 2:17 PM Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss <
> > wrote:
>
>> Fascinating idea, Still searching, but
>> https://blog.particle.io/open-source-thermostat/ is a neat read.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 11:48 AM der.hans via PLUG-discuss <
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> moin moin,
>>>
>>> We're replacing the home air handler soon.
>>>
>>> Anyone have experience with a FLOSS digital thermostat?
>>>
>>> Or at least something that doesn't require connecting to the internet?
>>>
>>> I would like to do some automation via local connections, but want to keep
>>> everything within a local network segment.
>>>
>>> ciao,
>>>
>>> der.hans
>>> --
>>> # https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
>>> # "Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down
>>> # by the mind before you reach eighteen." -- Albert Einstein
>>

>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen

# https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
# "If I want my children to work hard, I better be the hardest working
# person they've ever met. If I want the children to be nice, I better
# be the kindest human being they've ever met." -- Rafe Esquith---------------------------------------------------