Re: Modular laptop concept

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: Modular laptop concept
On 2021-02-26 17:56, Aaron Jones via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> Michael Butash wrote:
>> https://frame.work/ [1]
>> Might look at one of these if/when they come about.
> I backed one of these projects and the dude never shipped. His was a
> modular framework for upgrading a laptop and it ended up getting
> demolished by shoddy work in the shop they chose in China.

These will be more expensive than other laptops in the short term.
Making computer parts that fit together into a frame that is not
custom-designed, in form factors that humans can work on, and supported
by metal frames instead of glue requires effort and money. And regular
consumers are super-sensitive to price. So I think the only way this
won't be a hastily-discarded boutique product is if 3rd-party
manufacturers start making other modules that are cheap and do
interesting things. Which is possible but unlikely IMHO. (Observing
the x86 industry for 22ish years has made me a tad pessimistic.)

Also, I do not give a **** about how thick my laptop is. In 1999, I
had a Thinkpad 380D that could probably have been used as an improvised
weapon. It was 2.5 cm in height and weighed 3.6 (?) kg. A modern
machine with that form factor and weight would have a crazy long battery
life. I am obviously in the minority, as marketers have conditioned the
general population to think "looks trendy" >> "functions well".

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity