Re: modern xbmc/kodi

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Stephen Partington
Subject: Re: modern xbmc/kodi
Kodi, Embry, Plex are all forks from the OG XBMC code. I think Kodi is the
same group that evolved the product to match that it was no longer for just
the XB1.

as such it has been ported all over the place from old school steam links
to android.

For Local/Over the air TV you get ahold of a Linux-friendly TVadapter or
two and hook it (them) up. You can even build one as the server and do the
ingestion/tivo-like stuff and share with multiple lower-powered devices
across your network.

I guess all of this suggests you read up on the forums because you are
about to dive down the rabbit hole alice.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 7:35 AM Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> Why can't you? I certainly can and do, and have since XBMC actually ran
> on an OG xbox in early 2000's.
>
> I use kodi on my Nvidia Shield as my media player for the living room, and
> it's never been better. I just use SMB/CIFS to connect to my network
> storage where I have a "video" directory, and works perfectly for any video
> or audio format. My new tv purchased around christmas also has android tv
> os on it directly, so in theory don't even need the Shield, but setting
> this up for my aunt with a Sony tv, the proc wasn't up to dealing with
> higher-end formats (certain 1080p codecs, 4k content), but works with most
> 1080p formats and below just fine.
>
> You could always just install the pirate repos direct on kodi to get
> whatever wherever, but they're all a bit sketchy these days, and highly
> recommend a privacy vpn if you do...
>
> -mb
>

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 4:58 PM Michael via PLUG-discuss <
> > wrote:
>
>> How can we watch tv/movies on the computer like we could with xbmc?
>>
>> --

Stephen