Re: tiff file license

Author: John Seberg via PLUG-discuss
To: Michael via PLUG-discuss
CC: John Seberg
Subject: Re: tiff file license
I'm not clear as to why you would want to convince them, or why that might make you stingy.

Also, I'm not entirely up-to-date on the latest TIFF specification, and I don't know much about DNG, at all.

I think it's likely that DNG is higher resolution - keeps more data. It might even be the native format for equipment, and not practical for them to discard completely.

Consider looking into the following to build your argument:

1) Color depth. This is my first suspicion. By converting DNG to TIFF, one might be discarding colors. I've seen color depths as high as 64 bit. So, what is the max supported by TIFF and DNG? TIFF might be limited to 16 bit.

2) Stored attributes. Formats often support attribute/values (a.k.a metadata), and TIFF might have some limits, here. What if your photographer colleagues discovered that their images lost all the aperture values because of your suggestion? They have a great shot, and want to see their camera settings?

Regarding compression, in my experience, it was optional, and typically lossless (ZIP or LZW) with TIFF. JPEG compression is lossy, and I think that may be a TIFF option to be avoided by somebody wanting to preserve all possible data.

Cheers,