Re: Why Gnome?

Author: Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Eric Oyen
Subject: Re: Why Gnome?
One of the points mentioned here was for the visually impaired. I happen to be the only totally blind active member here and I found that gnome (among some of the other GTK based DM’s) to be highly accessible. The fact that it can be navigated and interacted with strictly by keyboard makes it the best DM for those like me. And yes, I like the design that went into windows 3.11, 05, 2k and windows 7. All of them were panel displayed interactive desktops that were easy to navigate. Gnome just took it a step further and made the DM completely enabled for keyboard interaction. Also, I like how one can, directly with keyboard interaction, create new desktop icons and entries, edit or reconfigure menu items or even add new ones and not have to restart the bloody interface (this was much of the problem with windows I didn’t like and still don’t).

Now, if they had an Aqua DM (OS X) that was GTK based, then I would be even more at home inside a linux GUI. I would even configure all the keystrokes to perfectly mimic the VoiceOver screen reader environment. :)

I wonder, I think that macports actually has sources for the Aqua desktop environment. So, how hard would it be to modify the base code to be GTK compliant and then compile for linux? Since coding is not my thing, it would probably be up to someone else to take a look and see if this could be done.

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Accessibility Research and Development Dept.