Re: swap file vs swap partition

+ (text/html)
Author: Bob Elzer via PLUG-discuss
To: Seabass, Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Bob Elzer
Subject: Re: swap file vs swap partition
Swap files have been around forever. You really don't need to worry about
file fragmentation on an SSD because of the way files are written and being
handled by the controller. Partitions are contiguous, so they don't get
fragmented, but all the writes would be confined to a smaller space on an
SSD so it would wear it out faster. Ext4 file systems spread files out to
prevent file fragmentation, but when your hard disk gets full it is
possible to get some fragmentation. On an SSD you should not let it get
full, a full SSD will start writing to the same areas more often shortening
the life of the SSD.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020, 7:15 PM Seabass via PLUG-discuss <