Re: KMS but AMDGPU And Black Screen

Author: Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Brian Cluff
Subject: Re: KMS but AMDGPU And Black Screen
On 8/24/20 10:55 AM, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> I did look closer at the cheap EDID adapters Brian sent, and looking
> at like models a few specifically state "not compatible with DP to
> HDMI adapters", which is exactly my scenario.  I learned trying to use
> dp-to-hdmi adapters with "active" thin hdmi cables did not work, and
> no other active translation seems supported with more than one,
> including these sadly.

Yes they description says that, but like I said in my message, I believe
they were trying to say that their device isn't DP to HDMI adapter... If
you read the reviews there are several people on there describing your
exact problems with the DP to HDMI conversion and says that it was the
perfect thing to fix their problems and that they do indeed work with DP
to HDMI conversion.  If can't find one that has the correct male female
sides, you could always get a handful of gender changers and make it
work like that.

Also, are you cables from your machine to display very long.  I found
that I had a devil of a time getting anything over 6 feet to work
reliably at all no matter what the quality of cable.  Once I figured
that out and moved my machine closer I found that even my cheap cables
would drive my display.... It makes sense considering the signal is
throwing something in the neighborhood of 18Gbps at the display....  The
shorter the cable the better.

Brian Cluff