Re: KMS but AMDGPU And Black Screen

+ (text/html)
Author: Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Brian Cluff
Subject: Re: KMS but AMDGPU And Black Screen
On 8/22/20 8:30 AM, Michael Butash wrote:
> I'm a bit more surprised HDMI still this day doesn't support DPMS-type
> functions to some extent, even if "legacy" vs. only CEC.  Likewise I'm
> surprised companies like samsung don't just include a DP port on their
> TV's...

HDMI does support DPMS.  It just that TVs don't.  I doubt well every see
a display port connector on a TV and/or DPMS support because that would
rob them of being able to have an almost identical product that is only
a slightly tweaked TV that is little to no cost to them that they can
charge charge a whole lot more for.

> I figure at some point a developer might buy a few of these tv's and
> realize how asinine this all is to use to resolve it, but considering
> here we are in 2020 and my first reports of some of this stuff began a
> decade or more ago, perhaps not.  KDE is still working on trying to
> fix window placement a decade or two on, seeing this just today...
> <https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=KDE-Apps-Window-Pos>

I think the problem is today is that they DO handle changing monitor
setups, but that they require devices to probably report themselves to
the system for it to work.  For people using TVs, what they need to do
is have a checkbox that says something like, "Make the current setup
permanent".  The checkbox would essentially break the plug and play
system completely and hard code each display to its function. The
computer would then spray video out the port no matter what, even if it
doesn't detect a device.

You mentioned that you were using curved Samsung TV.  That is exactly
what I'm running as well.  This probably won't help you, but maybe
someone else that's reading this; for my shut down needs I set the
computer to sleep the display after a certain amount of time which stops
sending video.  Then I set the TV to automatically shut off after a
certain amount of time with a loss of connection.  Now all I have to do
it wiggle the mouse or press a key to wake the system up and press power
on the TV when I want to start using it.

Brian Cluff