Re: is my power supply dieing?

Author: Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Brian Cluff
Subject: Re: is my power supply dieing?
On 7/15/20 9:13 AM, Michael via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> the computer gal told me to run it until it dies and then get a new computer.

That's repair person speak for "This is an old computer, and not worth
repairing."

BTW have you tried running tests with a bootable CD?  If you can get it
to freeze while using a completely different batch of software such as
what you get with an bootable CD that would help verify that it's a
hardware issue and not a software issue.

Also check the health of your hard drive with smartctl. I've hard
systems freeze on me because my hard drive was dying that then appear to
work again for a while after a reboot.  Basically your drive starts
throwing errors and eventually the system remounts it as read only and
your system eventually freaks out and freezes because it can't write to
the drive anymore.

Brian Cluff