Re: partition size.

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: partition size.
>> James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss <>
>> wrote:
>>> I generally go with 20 gigs for my homedir. but i make it an lvm
>>> partition, so i can grow it as needed.

20G? Yikes, I think I have individual directories that are almost that
large. Then again, I think the oldest files I have here are from
1995ish.

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 12:51 PM Steve Litt wrote:
>> I don't use LVM because I try to limit layers of complexity. So what
>> do is when a directory under /home/slitt gets too big, I use a bind
>> mount to host that particular directory.

>> /scratch/gnome-boxes /home/slitt/.local/share/gnome-boxes none bind 0
>> 0

While this is an interesting idea, it doesn't really reduce complexity.
It moves the complexity to a different place. It moves the hard part
from LVM and device-mapper to a large fstab and everything having to be
mounted in a specific order.

On 2020-07-10 12:58, James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> lvm is so good I almost always use it.

There are 2 major problems with LVM. Only Linux can read it, making it
useless if you need to dual-boot. Also, you can't have your / on LVM
without an initrd that has all the LVM tools in it. Being able to
resize an LV without jumping through partition hoops is extremely
useful, so much so that it's probably LVM's killer feature. Back in the
day, it also got around the 15-partition limit on SCSI disks, though I
see they've solved that problem in another way now. (My phone has 22
partitions, which either means shenanigans or the people at Samsung were
smoking the really good drugs....)

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity