Re: OT: How to make this simple html menu work?

+ (text/html)
Author: Phil Waclawski via PLUG-discuss
To: joe, Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Phil Waclawski
Subject: Re: OT: How to make this simple html menu work?
Thankfully not. Allowing HTML to execute system binaries from a local
drive would be a security nightmare. Microsoft allowed that with ActiveX in
IE and now, if you use IE/Edge and go to a site that uses Activex you get a
big "Warning, this site uses ActiveX it is very dangerous". Was not one of
MS's brighter moves. Browsers do thankfully block that, and they should.
If you want this all to work locally, are you sure HTML is your best bet?
Maybe use some of the Python GUI tools, or tcl/tk ?

Otherwise if you just want videos to play in your web pages, but from a
local drive, install Apache or Nginx and have a local server to use. Or
even set up something using Python/Flask to create a local "web server".

Phil Waclawski

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 7:08 PM Joe Lowder via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> Perhaps I might ask the question a different way:
>
> Is there a way to invoke or "exec"
> 'vlc' from within an html menu?
>
> In other words, from the commandline,
> I can use: vlc splash.mp4 <E>
> and the video displays fine.
>
> Surely there must be some simple way to
> execute that from within an html "<a href ..."
>

> -----------
> May 9, 2020 at 4:27 pm, Joe wrote:
> > Thanks Brian, but I had read that page and tried to
> > implement everything suggested there. Couldn't get any of it to work. The
> > article describes doing this on a windows box and I'm on Linux.

> > The code I shared in my original question did use
> > similar syntax to what the article suggests, but it doesn't work. The
> > closest I got was a result that showed the following message:
> >
> > "No video with supported format and MIME type found."
>

> > -----------
> > May 9, 2020 12:41 am, Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> >
> >> I believe this page has a well worded answer to your question:
> >> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18246053/how-can-i-create-a-link-to
> >> -a
> >> -local-file-on-a-locally-run-web-page/18246357
> >>
> >> Brian Cluff

The Maricopa Community Colleges are now operating fully remotely. We hope
you are safe and healthy during this time.
My in person and hybrid classes are all meeting at the regular times via
remote software. Lab and office hours as well. Please check Canvas for the
details and links, or email me with further questions.