Re: question about Java

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: question about Java
I'll stand corrected with the versions of java, it's obviously not my
thing, but simply put, I've never *ever* had openjdk work properly for
anything Java that wasn't specifically built in openjdk. I just don't
bother with it usually as most everything is typically built/tested around
Oracle and Oracle only.

This proved itself true last week firing up JBidwatcher on this system,
only had openjdk, and wouldn't even launch with it. I had to put oracle
java on it to work still.

Most enterprise java apps I have seen in use in businesses require
specific, usually outdated/insecure versions, never get updates because
they break the apps, and rarely work on anything but the platforms they
were built on, so I call bullocks on the compatibility play. It sounds
great in theory, but every practical application I've seen in use in
enterprise ended up a bloody mess.

Much like Flash now, it's just a zombie that won't die, but should imho.

-mb

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 10:33 PM Joseph Sinclair via PLUG-discuss <