Re: zoom and teams patches

Author: der.hans via PLUG-discuss
To: Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss
CC: der.hans
Subject: Re: zoom and teams patches
Am 28. Apr, 2020 schwätzte Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss so:

moin moin,

> That's not entirely true, I use Webex on Linux, including sharing my screen,

Yeah, in the end it worked with Firefox. I had to allow some JavaScript,
but no completely 3rd party stuff.

I also didn't need to create an account for authentication. The webex join
meeting UI sucks pretty badly.

ciao,

der.hans

> nearly every day for work. It is true that there's no native client, though,
> but the workaround is to use Chrome or a Chrome-based browser (in my case,
> Chromium), and Webex is able to use the built-in screen sharing functionality
> of Chrome to share your screen. The only caveat I've found is that you must
> use Xorg, not Wayland, as Chromium doesn't appear to support screen capture
> on Wayland.
>

> On 2020-04-28 15:20, Phil Waclawski via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> Webex still does not have a Linux client (not even via web), so it is
>> a no go for me except on my phone, and I can't teach class with a
>> phone. So still using Zoom.
>> Phil W
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 11:32 AM der.hans via PLUG-discuss
>> <> wrote:
>>
>>> moin moin,
>>>
>>> I'll be posting something longer and positive about Big Blue Button
>>> (
>>> hopefully today ), but at this point we're probably all stuck using
>>> variety of tools that others get to choose for us.
>>>
>>> Zoom fixed their waiting room security hole and Microsoft is still
>>> learning how to safely display images.
>>>
>>> Both were fixed server side, so the holes should be gone.
>>>
>>> https://citizenlab.ca/2020/04/zooms-waiting-room-vulnerability/
>>>

>> https://www.cyberark.com/threat-research-blog/beware-of-the-gif-account-takeover-vulnerability-in-microsoft-teams/
>>>
>>> Anyone know the state of webex? That's popped up for me due to the
>>> recurring zoom issues.
>>>
>>> ciao,
>>>
>>> der.hans
>>> --
>>> # https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
>>> # It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.
>>> # An author has only the opportunity to make it uninteresting. -
>>> der.hans
>>
>> --
>>
>> The Maricopa Community Colleges are now operating fully remotely. We
>> hope you are safe and healthy during this time.
>> My in person and hybrid classes are all meeting at the regular times
>> via remote software. Lab and office hours as well. Please check Canvas
>> for the details and links, or email me with further questions.

# https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
# If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
# you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
# I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have