Windows Subsystem for Linux && Visual Studio Code

+ (text/html)
Author: PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Windows Subsystem for Linux && Visual Studio Code
Hi,

AZ Pete mentioned the Windows Powershell and the Visual Studio Code
editor. I thought I would branch off of that.

I'm not a Python developer. I'm a PHP developer.

In the past I have always used an external LAMP server for development.
Currently I have an old i3 laptop that was upgraded to an SSD. Does the
job just fine.

A month or so ago I thought I would experiment with the Windows
Subsystem for Linux by installing Apache, MySql, and PHP. Worked well,
with two exceptions.

I used Visual Studio Code to edit the code "remotely".

I had two issues which I do not recall completely. 1) When I would
bring the computer out of screen saver mode it would run really slow and
require a reboot. I'm guessing the subsystem went to sleep and was not
able to wake up..... 2) As I recall I configured a number of vhosts off
of /var/www/html/ which worked well except PHP reported the Docroot was
the same as the localhost for all three vhosts, even though they were
configured with different Docroots. I wonder if there might be a Apache
setting that will correct this?

The subsystem reports its running Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS.

I think it might be time to dig a little deeper.---------------------------------------------------