Re: Networking Question

Author: PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Networking Question
OK, I'll narrow this down:
We will have a router serving the same subnet in wireless and wire.
We'll have a laptop with 2 interfaces, wifi0 and eth0.
We'll not do any routing configuration beyond a default.
Finally, this explanation is watered down to dilution because I don't have a
lot of time right now.

In a nutshell, when the protocol is sending a packet, it will look for an
interface that matches the subnet of the packet, and if it finds it, it will
send a "who has" request over that interface.

Otherwise, the packet is handed to the "gateway" (default routing) which is
not what we are discussing here.

There is no guarantee (that I know of) that the kernel will search the
network interfaces in any particular order for a matching subnet, and the
search will stop as the first one is found.

That creates a race condition with the ARP table where a packed may be sent
while the ARP table gets refreshed and moved to the other interface, and
those packets will die a slow death. That will create random connection
drops and transmission slowdowns.

I've seen it...
tctpdump(it), and you'll see it too.
ET