Re: deb/ub on apple laptop?

+ (text/html)
Author: Todd Cole
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: deb/ub on apple laptop?
the last intel macbook pro we did at the installfest worked perfect ubuntu
18.04 uefi the hardest part was finding the boot key "C" as I recall and
added gnome tweaks to adjust the trackpad and add right click
the ram in that one was EEC but could be added and increased and I hear
that the newer macbook pro has integrated ram so no upgrades are possible

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 4:34 PM der.hans <> wrote:

> moin moin,
>
> My experience with Apple hardware is similar to HP, they tend to use stuff
> that's a pain to work with. Dunno if Apple also has multiple versions of a
> card that all uses the same identifier.
>
> Work laptop hardware is unwell. Dunno if they'll send me new hardware or
> just a new battery and some bailing wire.
>
> If they will give me a new device, they will push for me to take an Apple
> laptop. I was able to avoid it last time, but am unsure of making my
> saving throw this time.
>
> Is it really, really easy to install and run debian and Ubuntu on Apple
> laptops nowdays? Everything works? Networking, sound, hibernate, etc.?
>
> Does Apple hardware also have UEFI and other misfeatures?
>
> Are there any decent Apple laptops that have AMD processors? It'll be a
> stretch for me to get that, but I'm going to ask :).
>
> Can you add more RAM or are you stuck with whatever it came with based on
> the laptop color???
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
>
> PS
>
> The random quote that popped up is gloriously the most appropriate for the
> email I was writing and who might respond :)
>
> --
> # https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
> # "I have faith in debian-legal." -- Ted Gould

Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team
2928 W El Caminito
Phoenix AZ 85051-3957