Re: New Router Purchase

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: New Router Purchase
Granted, hardware goes bad, but it's "working yesterday, dead like a brick
now" bad usually. Hardware almost never degrades in just performance, save
some Cisco devices using non-ecc memory over the years (why they don't sell
load-balancers anymore).

Software may leak resources, kids/roommates might overconsume sessions
torrenting to abuse router cpu, but hardware alone won't diminish
performance over time. I still say audit your traffic patterns with some
network tools, but having a better router too never hurts.

Oddly I've found decent (netgear, cisco) wifi routers at my local Goodwill
in Peoria, I just verify they can use dd-wrt images while there, how much
memory/cpu they have (if they can use full or limited images). For a while
was hooking up friends and family with decent units for less than $7 each.
Ebay you can probably find better options, but as long as it's flashable
with dd-wrt, you're likely not going to get one gone "bad" if it works at
all.

-mb