Re: computer reboots on its own

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: computer reboots on its own
all the fans are working. I'll try the memtest.... I don't have a spare usb
drive large enough.....
$ sudo dd if=memtest86-usb.img of=/dev/sdc
dd: writing to '/dev/sdc': No space left on device
128001+0 records in
128000+0 records out
65536000 bytes (66 MB, 62 MiB) copied, 21.5638 s, 3.0 MB/s
bmike1@MikesBeast:/tmp$
I'll take care of it tomorrow

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 1:48 PM <> wrote:

> I agree that heat is a big suspect, but it could also be some creative
> video
> driver or a bad memory.
> Give memtest a try:
> https://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-usb.zip
> ET
>

> Matthew Crews writes:
>
> > On 9/28/19 4:31 PM, Michael wrote:
> >> Thank you so much for the help I really truly appreciate it.
> >
> > No problem, its what we are here for.
> >
> >>     Does it reboot while you are using it? Are you using very intensive
> >>     applications on it, or very not-intensive applications?

> >> So far it has only only reboot. after I load Chrome. And it doesn't
> >> happen all the time usually it will load the Chrome and it will reboot
> >> then open it again and then it will be fine.
> >
> > Chrome is notoriously resource intensive. Maybe give Chromium or Firefox
> > a try.
> >
> > But based on that answer I'm leaning towards a fan failure first. As you
> > said you are currently in Miami, so when you get back definitely check
> that.
> >
> > Could also be simple dust accumulation, something a can of air can fix.
> > That is something that is obvious to see when you look.
> >
> > There are a few other possible things to check, but lets rule out the
> > simple stuff first before we dive deeper.
> >
> > -Matt