Re: OT: Non-Geek wants honest Registrar and Host service

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Non-Geek wants honest Registrar and Host service

> On Sep 2, 2019, at 3:28 PM, wrote:
>
> On 2019-09-02 14:02, Victor Odhner wrote:
>
>> I want to thank all the folks who have responded. Responses were *all* educational, but the main tunes are (a) that's business and something can go wrong with any provider; and (b) that running even a simple site is hard, and non-techies are going to be challenged; so an established hand-holding provider environment for a WordPress blog is a good thing.
>> I am recommending that my friend stick with what's working. And I'll make sure they have some backup for the contents as suggested below.
>

> If they are storing any data in the database they will need to backup both the files and the database.

There are lots of scripts around you can use that do full WP backups that include everything.

>> (The offense that set this off was against a little organization we both have connections to. The outrageous cost for an expired name registry caused clients' management to switch to a using a secondary URL. After some grumbling I moved on, but my friend is a justice fighter and felt the need to make a statement.)
>
> I think the going rate for registering a domain is $15 a year. Occasionally I get an email that says my domain is expiring and for just $60.... They can take care of that.... These are phishing emails that do not come from my registrar. I've even gotten them for long expired domains that I no longer am interested in.

NameSilo and NameCheap are both under $9 for .com TLDs. NameSilo includes free domain privacy forever. NameCheap includes one year of WhoisGuard for free, but it’s around $2/yr after that; they also include a PositiveSSL Cert free for one year with each new domain name purchase.

FWIW, another cool registrar I found recently is DomainCostClub.com . they have a HUGE selection of TLDs, many at SIGNIFICANT discounts. You pay an annual fee depending on how many domains you have registered with them, then pay rock-bottom prices (“at cost”) for any domains you register with them. They include domain privacy for free, and have pretty decent hosting prices on a per-domain basis. They regularly have a nice selection of domains for $1.