Re: OT: Non-Geek wants honest Registrar and Host service

+ (text/html)
+ blocked.gif (image/gif)
Author: PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Non-Geek wants honest Registrar and Host service
All of my close friends are non technical. I tried to teach a couple of
them how to manage their own hosting and it did not work. I tried to
teach them simple stuff like how to FTP.

I think GoDaddy, HostGator... etc are the best it gets for them. One
lost his blog do to some tech issue at GoDaddy. AND that is going to
happen. I hosted with GoDaddy for years. I figured I could get away
with it because I am technical and had backups and could restore my
website in 10 minutes.

If all they have is a simple website or a blog then they need to know a
handful of information. One is they need someone technical they can
lean on such as a consultant. They need to do backups to avoid lost
data. WordPress plugin with S3. They will probably need help with
that.

I think we take for granted what it takes to own and manage a website.
I think it is difficult for the average person.

On 2019-09-02 04:45, James Dugger wrote:

> [...]
>
> First, cloud computing providers are not as easy as GoDaddy or Bluehost to setup WordPress websites. They can come close (Linode, Google) but they are still each more complex, and at minimum about 4 times more expensive per month to operate. Anyone who says otherwise is disconnected to what "non-technical" means.
>
> I worked on the GoDaddy Managed WordPress team developing and managing the platform, I know all of the developers who are on that team. They are all very talented, hardworking and most importantly they believe in the platform they are developing. They are not "Microsofties".
>
> So let's talk about honesty. GoDaddy has gone through some issues on their support/sales side. There has been some toxic individuals and management on the support side in recent years, however my understanding is that they have weeded out a lot of the problem people and changed their policies. If there are issues with your friend's experience there, I'm positive that GoDaddy would make things write if notified about the issues.
>
> I think it is absolutely hilarious sometimes what I here in discussion groups that I would consider out of date, no longer relevant, or are simply anecdotally wrong, especially when it comes to GoDaddy and even Microsoft recently. I remember team lunches there where we would read the latest top ten managed WordPress platforms where Media Temple was ranked 3rd and GoDaddy's was ranked 8th. These blogs would pontificate about how much better Media Temple was then GoDaddy, never realizing that GoDaddy had bought Media Temple years earlier and that we had migrated their entire platform onto the GoDaddy Managed WordPress platform. MT sites were and are literally sitting adjacent to GoDaddy WordPress sites on the same servers, but somehow they were better. So who is being honest and who isn't.
>
> How about WPEngine in recent years they were called on the carpet because they were reporting more site visits than Google Analytics, which they denied, causing site owners to pay substantially more after going over their limits. However it was determined that they had not removed the bots and crawlers that crawl the sites to index them from their metrics. This was the same case for FlyWheel. And just this weekend FlyWheel reported platform issues, there platform was in maintenance mode for 5 hours Saturday 8/31. And they have not been transparent about the issues. Yet FlyWheel was supposed to the best new MWP hosting platform. They have lost (or should) any tripple-nine status they had. I know someone who may lose a client over this outage this weekend. The business owner that runs and manages the site told me just last night that they are sick of trying other hosting providers and are going back to GoDaddy because they will guarantee 24/7 support. They actually said that

they miss the feeling of security they had with GoDaddy. I have many more actual events/issues with other hosting companies but I won't belabor the point any more.

> [...]
>
> There's also an area that isn't talked about much, and I don't really even know what to call it. But you might think that every cPanel / WHM hosting provider is the same, since they run the same hosting software. I've found that's not true. Nor is it "dishonest", either.
>
> There are several dozen settings that can be enabled or disabled on cPanel / WHM installations, and there are various plugins that the host can also include if they want.
>
> The net effect is, there are some such providers that I'd say tend strongly towards the "paranoid" side of the scale, while others bend the other way.
>
> NameCheap is a very "paranoid" host. If you want maximum security against hackers and invaders, you'll like them. They get that distinction because they have a habit of disabling all sorts of UI options that have even the slightest whiff of something a hacker could use to get into your hosting account.
>
> I put up with this for a few months, and then moved to Eleven2, who is far more relaxed about things.
>
> That said, you can always get a VPS, then install cPanel / WHM or any other control panel, and tweak it however you like.
>
> Personally, I have a "shared reseller" type hosting account (ie, one that includes WHM) at Eleven2. Shared hosting tends to overload the servers after a while, but they usually don't put as many "reseller" accounts on a host as regular (single cPanel) accounts -- maybe by a factor of 10-to-1 or more -- so they don't fill up as fast.
>
> But if your shared hosting account starts to slow down, and if you've been there for a while, ask to have it moved to a newer server. That's very easy to do with cPanel accounts, and the places I've been tend to be fairly accommodating if only because they'd rather not lose you to another host just because they don't want to spend 5 minutes moving your account.
>
> -David Schwartz
>
> On Aug 30, 2019, at 12:36 PM, Victor Odhner <> wrote:
>
> A friend who is totally non-technical wants to move their WordPress from the current registry and hosting service, and is looking for is good providers of registry and hosting, with the most honest reputations within a reasonable cost.
>
> A few years ago I worked with NameCheap, and have heard fairly good stories.
>
> I've heard some registrars are in a better chance to negotiate transfer of a name which may be owned by the current registrar.
>
> I'm pretty sure my friend was spoon-fed the setup with a single phone call, and might find a change too complicated. I am personally free of [_largest-of-local-providers_], so my bias is towards running away from [_that_], but I don't really know what choices are "out there" for innocent button-pressing clients.

James

LINKEDIN [2]

Links:
------
[1]
https://u2206659.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?upn=3cK2FVJjyu2N-2Bxco034fZirB8KjJB6TWmws3JQznod2-2BarXdgEBTyt3QzdhIH35ch-2BzFTkBm5yT6T6kXEEWvZUZZmbLgltYY6BMhl9aJCyg-3D_6lpMB7VLnN-2Fj9-2FEErg8-2F-2BMBpb5QxlByTgv2M3fbWD9ebvC-2BWrN3h7jImK8EVWYBeNRAAZmRl1X5YPg2jMyIeBS-2BtxahvC1vMnGpdwKJEeuA6CEQzma4GPz-2BcD-2ByGlKQQ5HeQGbSxwJbfuHJqsavhmU0QjcuChn-2F-2BTc12LRhw1LqEHBwz3YdCsXxZrQJDe-2B6lMQR4yP4LzzuGzO-2BGAVn61X9d-2FVga2gHF1mWhi3bANQs-3D
[2] http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-h-dugger/15/64b/74a/