Re: ot 1099

+ (text/html)
Author: PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ot 1099
If you are working as a freelancer / contractor you should get a 1099
each year. I think the government becomes aware when they get the 1099
the year after your earnings.

Several gotchas

1) you will pay 15.3% for social security / medicare because you are the
employer and the employee.

2) you may be required to make periodic tax and social security /
medicare deposits or based on how much you make you might only be
required to pay when filing your taxes.

I prefer depositing what I owe monthly. I think this is the website
that you can go to, set up an account, and make your payments:
https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ (it has been a while) I prefer
depositing monthly because I do not want to have a dry spell and then
owe taxes as well. I even over pay so I get a refund. You do not want
to owe $2000 .... $6,000 or more at the end of the year and not have it.

You should read https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ contact the IRS with any
questions (be prepared for a long wait time) and talk to an accountant.

As someone said, as a 1099 you can deduct a number of things you
normally do not such as your cellular phone, use of home, hardware and
software purchases, internet costs, office expenses.... etc. Check with
your accountant.

Be very careful... you do not want to get into a snag.